My sister-in-law, Nancy, is one of the very few people that I have met in life who impresses me with her life. By that I mean she is a person who has influenced, encouraged and helped others and, more importantly, she causes me to ponder, study and reflect on many issues for which she is passionate in her support. In a recent admonishment on Facebook she gave me an idea to ponder research and discover from whatever source — the GOOD things that our current President, Donald J. Trump has accomplished and stop focusing on the bad things. So, rather than dismissing her comments (below) as a simple tirade, I use it as a departure point for attempting to understand her point of view.
–> Your term “hijacking the Republican primary” is hurtful and dismissive of the millions of Conservatives, like me, who voted to save our country from destruction. In my opinion, he was and IS the only person for the job! Hannity does not claim to be entertainment and he is not my favorite….try The Next Revolution’s Steve Hilton? Hannity does have an agenda, again, saving our country from destruction, aka the lies and corruption on the left AND in government/the SWAMP in general. He is there to keep our spirits up as the liberal left tries all day, every day, to beat Conservatives down. “Justice” has favored Dems for too long! It is supposed to be BLIND! And, sadly, The media is no longer there to report the news, most are there to get out their narratives. It would be helpful if smart folks like you tried looking into ALL of the GOOD that our President has done and stop dwelling on and perpetuating hate just because you don’t like someone’s personality?! The View, and all of us would be better served if we stopped the hateful, hurtful comments and looked for the GOOD. Our President LOVES our country and came from the business world and the entertainment world so some of his braggadocious (sic) personality came from that. We are all products of our upbringing and do our best to change and grow into the lives we are living now. 🤷🏻♀️
Praying for PEACE 🙏🙏😊
This small article will make reference to others that I have read in my research. I will show the link to these references and I hope that the links will still be active to anyone who reads this. If they are not, I apologize. Their are a lot of articles in many different publications. The first article (opinion piece) by Marc Theissen repeats in many daily newspapers as he is a syndicated columnist. By the way — the web address of the article referenced is in BOLD.
Since the comments were made on Facebook a social media website initial research was completed (but maybe not) by using various search phrases in Google; “What good things has Donald Trump accomplished as President?” was my initial search question. This of course elicited many of the same response because, I think, FOX & Friends stick together and repeat the same information over and over. Many of these including Kellyann’s list from WhitehouseDotGov are shown below with links.
I read a lot, especially about business ideas and what is new and what is affecting the markets and so on. Over time, through the blather I have collected some of my own list. All of us have our own reality based on our own perceptions, a solipsistic philosophy which is all our own.
Marc Thiessen’s answer is 10 from here (the list is almost a year old) – https://beta.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-10-best-things-trump-has-done-in-2018/2018/12/31/a2de64b6-0d1b-11e9-84fc-d58c33d6c8c7_story.html?noredirect=on — admittedly it is an opinion piece but Marc Thiessen is on FOX News a lot so his opinion good or bad right or wrong appeals to conservative thought. He admits that his numbering scheme is arbitrary. And, Marc does not write “good”, he writes “best”.
10. He has secured the release of 19 people, including 16 Americans, from foreign captivity.
9. He delivered for the “forgotten Americans.” this is a reference to job creation
8. He worked with Democrats and Republicans to pass important legislation.
7. He has ushered in a golden age for women in the CIA.
6. His push to expand domestic energy production bore fruit.
5. In the six months after the Singapore summit with North Korea, he has made no concessions to Pyongyang.
4. He struck Syria again and eliminated the last vestiges of the Islamic State’s physical caliphate.
3. He’s continued his tough line with Moscow.
2. He pulled out of Obama’s disastrous Iran deal and reimposed crippling sanctions on Tehran.
1. He stood by Brett M. Kavanaugh and even in the worst moments never wavered.
Marc also says — That is a strong record of success. We’ll review the 10 worst things Trump has done in the next column. So, in the interest of presenting both sides his next talking points are shown below. Ten worst are here: https://beta.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-10-worst-things-trump-did-in-2018/2019/01/02/f4025456-0eb0-11e9-84fc-d58c33d6c8c7_story.html
10. His comment about “shithole” countries blew up negotiations for a deal that would have given Trump his border wall.
9. His offensive tweets continued to undermine his presidency.
8. His misuse of power turned critics into martyrs.
7. He drove away suburban voters and caused the GOP to lose control of the House.
6. His graceless handling of Sen. John McCain’s funeral was a new low.
5. His handling of Jamal Khashoggi’s murder harmed America’s moral standing.
4. His news conference with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki was an embarrassment.
3. His policy to separate migrant children from their families at the southern border was an avoidable tragedy.
2. His planned withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan is a gift to the Taliban and al-Qaeda.
1. His pullout of all U.S. troops in Syria will take America’s boot off of the terrorists’ necks. (He hasn’t done this yet. Mattis left prematurely.)
Marc continues with — It is notable that, with the exception of troop withdrawals and family separations, most of the items on this list were transgressions of style rather than substance. With the mute button on, the Trump presidency is pretty good from a conservative policy perspective. And yet Trump’s approval rating at year’s end is just 39 percent — because most Americans don’t follow politics with the sound off.
The Atlantic is a magazine that I do not subscribe to but I read articles from online from time to time. Most magazines of this type will allow you to read so many articles per month (4 or 5 typically). At this place on the web they have pointed to many articles about things – good and bad – that Pres. Trump has accomplished. https://www.theatlantic.com/unthinkable/ Below are the Atlantic’s editor in chief’s words.
50 Moments That Define an Improbable Presidency
Jeffrey Goldberg Editor in chief of The Atlantic
In an October 2016 editorial, The Atlantic wrote of Donald Trump: “He is a demagogue, a xenophobe, a sexist, a know-nothing, and a liar.” We argued that Trump “expresses admiration for authoritarian rulers, and evinces authoritarian tendencies himself.” Trump, we also noted, “is easily goaded, a poor quality for someone seeking control of America’s nuclear arsenal. He is an enemy of fact-based discourse; he is ignorant of, and indifferent to, the Constitution; he appears not to read.”
In retrospect, we may be guilty of understatement.
There was a hope, in the bewildering days following the 2016 election, that the office would temper the man—that Trump, in short, would change.
He has not changed.
This week marks the midway point of Trump’s term. Like many Americans, we sometimes find the velocity of chaos unmanageable. We find it hard to believe, for example, that we are engaged in a serious debate about whether the president of the United States is a Russian-intelligence asset. So we decided to pause for a moment and analyze 50 of the most improbable, norm-bending, and destructive incidents of this presidency to date.
Our 2016 editorial was a repudiation of Donald Trump’s character as much as it was an endorsement of Hillary Clinton for president. It was not meant to be partisan. The Atlantic’s founders promised their readers that we would be “of no party or clique.” This remains a core governing principle of the magazine today. What follows is a catalog of incidents, ranked—highly subjectively!—according to both their outlandishness and their importance. In most any previous presidency, Democratic or Republican, each moment on this list would have been unthinkable.
This next list is from Marc Simon of iHeartradio. Conservative talk radio. I have not listened to Marc but I have found Rush Limbaugh to be very entertaining on long drives to work projects in Canada. WLW in Cincinnati can be heard in Toronto and all the way along the 7 hour drive to that fine city north of the lake. Here is the article link: https://710wor.iheart.com/featured/mark-simone/content/2019-03-09-the-list-of-president-trumps-accomplishments-so-far/
On the article site, Marc writes specifics about each point below. Some of his points are not easily supported by fact but he has stated them to be of some truth.
IGNITING A HISTORIC ECONOMIC BOOM: President Trump’s pro-growth policies are unleashing economic growth and providing opportunities to workers across the country.
ROLLING BACK RED TAPE: President Trump is rolling back costly regulations that have burdened hardworking Americans and stifled innovation.
NEGOTIATING BETTER DEALS FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE: President Trump is negotiating fair and balanced trade deals that protect American industries and workers.
UNLEASHING AMERICAN ENERGY:President Trump is rolling back costly and burdensome regulations to unleash America’s incredible energy resources.
EXPANDING OPTIONS FOR QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE:President Trump is expanding access to affordable healthcare choices and taking action to lower drug prices.
FIGHTING BACK AGAINST THE CRISIS NEXT DOOR: President Trump mobilized his entire Administration to combat the opioid crisis that has devastated communities across the country.
STANDING UP FOR THE SANCTITY OF LIFE AND PROTECTING RELIGIOUS LIBERTY: The President is committed to defending the right to life and religious liberty.
KEEPING AMERICAN COMMUNITIES SAFE: President Trump has made clear that his first responsibility is to protect the safety and security of Americans.
ENFORCING OUR LAWS AND SECURING OUR BORDERS: From the first day of his Administration, President Trump has worked to uphold the rule of law and secure our borders.
REBUILDING AMERICA’S MILITARY FORCE: President Trump is rebuilding our military and defending America’s interests across the world.
RESTORING AMERICAN LEADERSHIP ABROAD: President Trump is restoring American leadership on the world stage and advancing an America first agenda.
HONORING AMERICA’S COMMITMENT TO OUR VETERANS: President Trump is honoring America’s commitment to our veterans by ensuring they receive the quality care they have earned.
TRANSFORMING GOVERNMENT: President Trump has followed through on his pledge to transform the Federal Government and increase accountability and transparency.
Trump Administration Accomplishments from Whitehouse.gov
- Almost 4 million jobs created since election.
- More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.
- We have created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since my election.
- Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than THREE DECADES.
- Economic growth last quarter hit 4.2 percent.
- New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low.
- Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded.
- African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
- Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded.
- Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
- Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years.
- Youth unemployment has recently hit the lowest rate in nearly half a century.
- Lowest unemployment rate ever recorded for Americans without a high school diploma.
- Under my Administration, veterans’ unemployment recently reached its lowest rate in nearly 20 years.
- Almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election.
- The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans. We are committed to VOCATIONAL education.
- 95 percent of U.S. manufacturers are optimistic about the future—the highest ever.
- Retail sales surged last month, up another 6 percent over last year.
- Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back in to the U.S. in the first quarter alone.
- As a result of our tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years.
- Helped win U.S. bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
- Helped win U.S.-Mexico-Canada’s united bid for 2026 World Cup.
- Opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines.
- Record number of regulations eliminated.
- Enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions.
- Obamacare individual mandate penalty GONE.
- My Administration is providing more affordable healthcare options for Americans through association health plans and short-term duration plans.
- Last month, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history. And thanks to our efforts, many drug companies are freezing or reversing planned price increases.
- We reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs—saving seniors hundreds of millions of dollars this year alone.
- Signed Right-To-Try legislation.
- Secured $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic.
- We have reduced high-dose opioid prescriptions by 16 percent during my first year in office.
- Signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA telehealth services, walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.
- Increased our coal exports by 60 percent; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high.
- United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957.
- Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord.
- Cancelled the illegal, anti-coal, so-called Clean Power Plan.
- Secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year.
- NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016.
- Process has begun to make the Space Force the 6th branch of the Armed Forces.
- Confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration.
- Confirmed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and nominated Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
- Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.
- Moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem.
- Protecting Americans from terrorists with the Travel Ban, upheld by Supreme Court.
- Issued Executive Order to keep open Guantanamo Bay.
- Concluded a historic U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal to replace NAFTA. And negotiations with Canada are underway as we speak.
- Reached a breakthrough agreement with the E.U. to increase U.S. exports.
- Imposed tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum to protect our national security.
- Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer, intellectual property theft, and their chronically abusive trade practices.
- Net exports are on track to increase by $59 billion this year.
- Improved vetting and screening for refugees, and switched focus to overseas resettlement.
- We have begun BUILDING THE WALL. Republicans want STRONG BORDERS and NO CRIME. Democrats want OPEN BORDERS which equals MASSIVE CRIME.
There is more but probably not from me. I care not what the Donald does. My total focus is on the person who lives with me and her disease and how I can better serve her needs. Stay tuned, there will be more theatrics from the White House and the reporters of the White House and to me it matters not.