This recipe from All Recipes – https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/8088/gooey-butter-cake-iii/ – is a good one. There is absolutely no fiber in this recipe.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix – this recipe is heavy on the sugar. Try substituting a like amount of buttermilk pancake mix like Krusteaz
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided (try almond extract or lemon extract)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar (try only 3 C. & 1 C. of cake flour)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix together cake mix, butter, 2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl until well-combined. There is not enough liquid to make a batter. this turns into a thick paste so you may have to adjust its stiffness with milk or water. Pat mixture into a 9 x 13-inch dish. Glass Pyrex dish shown here is actually 7 ½ x 11 ½ . I greased and floured the Pyrex casserole dish. I do this for most every cake or “fake” bread like pumpkin bread or banana nut.
- Mix cream cheese, remaining 2 eggs, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer in a bowl. Slowly beat in confectioner’s sugar. Pour over cake layer. — I want to try this with a normal New York cream cheese recipe I have for making cheesecake.
- Bake in the preheated (convection) oven middle rack until golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool before serving. We discovered sitting overnight in the refrigerator makes this perfect. – 45 – 50 minutes might be better
Nutrition Facts (from All Recipes link)
Per serving: 334 calories; total fat 14g ; saturated fat 7g ; cholesterol 69mg ; sodium 278mg ; total carbohydrate 50g ; dietary fiber 0g ; total sugars 39g ; protein 4g ; vitamin c 0mg ; calcium 57mg ; iron 1mg ; potassium 56mg